15 September 2014

Sono Arrivata

Out with the old wall paper and in with the new. The image of Florence's Ponte Vecchio that lined the background of this blog two years ago has been replaced by the site of my new home and the icon of yet a new journey.

I take residence in this writing space for the purpose of documenting my continuance of existential discovery. I hold writing to be a useful channel for processing life. And thus, I write in this cyber space to process my encounters further and, in turn, share a bit of what life is bringing here on this distant shore.

I've imaginatively proposed various ways that I might begin this revisitation to blogging... Though I start anew in this ancient city, there is an extended preface that has welcomed me to this present moment. Being here is a manifestation of surrender, trust, discernment, and mission, with love and grace being both the catalysts and products of such fruits.

I can't say that it's been explicitly patience that has accompanied me across the bridge of finishing my undergraduate degree and returning to this sacred land to continue my studies. I consider the period one of anticipation. With a spirit of waiting, I was continually comforted in the graduated propositions presented by God. And, in the great beauty of companionship with Christ, I was given a time of formation and preparation that aided my next step, the one on which I stand today. 

Two years ago, I spent the summer living and studying in Florence. After completing my stay, I returned to the States with a voiced openness to God's direction and a thirsting desire for an invitation to navigate me. My return landed me back in Santa Barbara with a position in education. My two years working at Bishop Garcia Diego High School and the surrounding love of my family and friends nurtured within me a recognition essential for my steps forward. My deep desire to continue academically was solidified and the call to grow in the truth of our faith became incomparably pronounced. After visiting the options of a couple programs within the States and one abroad, I was left at the doorstep of the study program I will soon begin.

I have to laugh a bit, as is fitting when recognizing the unveiling of God's plans, because the former motions that moved me to this doorstep resembled that of a labyrinth. It is not from my own capacity that I made my way to this long-awaited welcome mat, but rather, it is through the spiritual direction offered to me by God. He attuned my heart to the recommendation of friends and the presentation of fulfilled desires. And here I am, sitting at a desk, in an apartment of my own, on a street neighboring the Papal Basilica honoring Our Blessed Mother, in the land of pilgrims and saints, in gratitude and hopeful anticipation.


No comments:

Post a Comment