26 July 2012

la mia Firenze


Six weeks of getting to know each other, and we've found love. She's taken me down her narrow streets. She's welcomed me to her prized churches. She's shared her warm sunshine. She's even revealed some of her flaws.

Firenze has freely shared her secrets with me. My careful heart, however, has been holding back. But today, all unwillingness was surrendered. I spilled il mio cuore to this dear city.

What began as reluctance against the seemingly obliged love has since morphed into my own genuine admiration.

Yesterday, as a class field trip, we journeyed to the Piazza Michelangelo area, to visit the beautiful Chiesa San Miniato. The trek consists of a lovely hill climb, leading to the remarkable vista.

So impressionable was this beautiful place that when I awoke this morning, I had it on my heart to return to it. So after class I made my way. This time, however, I was in no rush. Stops and detours welcomed.

This unanimous love for Firenze, as I mentioned earlier, wasn't one that was assumed by me. She had to woo me. And that she has.

During the uphill journey, I decided to stop on a side path that had previously captured my eye. This is the path to one of Firenze's hidden treasures... Giardino delle Rose.

I love venturing alone. It is then that I feel most the sweet company of God's beautiful creation.

This humble garden overlooks the postcard picturesque skyline. The dark green vines and trees of the garden confront the orange and creams of the city structures, and all this is embraced by the blue summer sky. The shot that stole my heart... and my breath (or maybe that was the steep climb up?).

Now, I know an encounter like this not one that is sought, rather it's one that reveals to you what you want before you even know to look for it. This flirtatious city is like someone you come to love, she shows you exactly what you need before you can define it.

I had been waiting for the proper invitation to declare my love for dear Firenze, and she finally shared it. The lively features of this town accompanied by such a compassionately understanding city view have officially succeeded in winning my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment