22 September 2014

A Linguist's Paradise

On an average day, I have the opportunity to speak in three languages. Italian is that on which I'm most focused. In this period before beginning my studies, I use Italian most. There only a handful of people with whom I speak English. When I start school, I will be using English often, as it is the language of my courses and is spoken by most at the university. Then, there is Spanish.

The only native English speakers I've encountered are those with whom I teach. I've landed a position teaching English at a well-esteemed school for children ages one to seventeen. The school is run by a British headmistress, under whom are my fellow expatriates and me. My colleagues include two Americans, two Aussies, two Brits, and one Irish gent. Each of us with a different motivation for residing in Italy and all of us teachers of the desired English language.
Being in the company of fellow English mother tongues offers me the pleasure of speaking in a more preferred, sophisticated manner of speech, which contrasts the current basic ability in which I can express myself in Italian. And of course, my English continues to expand being in the company of the various English varieties. Being at the school is a time of reprieve, where I am free in my native language and well-understood, at least by the teachers.

One of my recent meetings was with a woman from Spain. She, too, is studying here in Rome, at the university Sapienza. She speaks and understands English very well, and her Italian is minimal at the moment. When she and I converse it's a festival of languages. We go from English to Italian to Spanish, depending on how strong our lexicon is on the topic of discussion.

I have made another friend who contributes to the diversity in my language encounters beautifully. He is an Italian resident from India. His native tongues are Punjabi and Hindi (the national language of India). He knows a bit of English from his studies in India. And now he speaks Italian fluently, having lived here nearly ten years. Mama mia, this makes for quite the variety.

I imagine that once I begin my studies, I will be in the company of people of every language. The philosophy professors represent the gamut of French, German, Italian, English, Spanish, Czech, and Polish.

My language repertoire will be further broadened (and likely confused) with the additions of Greek and Latin.

Somebody pinch me...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delightful! Glad to hear you are branching out and making friends. Congrats on the job, that's great news! When does your program begin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, thank you! It has been swift that I have come to feel a sense of being at home. Praise God for this and for the kind souls that He's placed along my path.
      I begin my studies officially on the 6th of October. Although courses haven't yet begun, my excitement finds me on the university grounds at least a few times a week. I've been utilizing the library for Italian language studying. And of course, I venture around merely for the sake of the awesomeness of being there.
      The other day I asked the friendly bookstore worker, who has helped me with copying on multiple occasions, when students begin to buy their books. He said usually after classes start. I jokingly said that I simply can't wait. We laughed.

      I'm looking forward to a video chat soon. Please let me know when you guys are available. With others, I've been coordinating for early morning chats my time (late evening CA time). Maybe that would work for you? Otherwise, the weekends are less restricting. Talk soon!

      Delete