21 June 2012

gli odori di Italia

My strongest and most provoking sense is my sense of smell. I hold a firm belief in the science that connects the chemical level of scents to memory and emotion. I find myself pointing out scents that no one around me seems to regard. And yes, I believe my nose will lead me to the balanced chemical construction that is my husband. Call me crazy.

This powerful "tool" has been one of the most enriching companions of my time here in Italia. I've identified a few particular scents that seem to come out all over town. And, more excitingly, I've recognized some scents that remind me of home and more specifically some scents from mia Nanna's house.

Saying some of these aloud seems like I'm spilling secrets, as many will call them peculiar. Nonetheless, these are the experiences I consider noteworthy.

So, some of the Nanna-esque scents include the trash here at mia casa. Now I know this sounds odd, as trash has a universally bad odor. However, Nanna's doesn't, and, in fact, it has a special smell that resembles that of the trash here at my homestay. It helps too that it's placed under the sink in a little round bin, just like Nanna's.

On to the other smells... now these aren't necessarily familiar but I have identified with them and find them enjoyable. These are simple and omnipresent smells like the mix of coffee and smoke with a small hint of cologne. Speaking of human smells... I believe there are two perfumes/colognes that are worn by the men and women di Firenze. I haven't identified the particular names, but that is a mission I wish to go on. Every couple that walks down the street carries this wonderfully paired aroma. It's beautiful. The man smells masculine, fresh and designer-like, while the woman complements the scent with a sweet smell that also has a kick of spiciness. This seems to characterize the Italian duo wonderfully.

Anyway, I'm sure to point out these lingering experiences with those around me, regardless of their interest. And I'm certain I will be continuing this topic in my commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment