06 October 2014

Balance of Life

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted, a sign of positive expansion of life.

This week marks one month of residency. And already, I feel that the busyness of life has found itself anew here in Rome. I anticipated that it wouldn't take long to reach this point, and yet there still exists a sense of surprise.

I've completed my first week of teaching, giving me a clear idea of how much time I'll be devoting to lesson planning and grading. Though my time in the classroom amounts to a mere nine hours, the addition of classroom preparation puts me closer to fifteen hours.

Additionally, I will be doing private English lessons for extra hours of work. These lessons will take me all around the city, providing me with an increasing knowledge of these Roman streets, and will supplement my hours of classroom teaching.

After this week, I will know better how I may best manage my time among my studies, teaching, and social life with both family and friends.

I am one that thrives with routine and structure in my work. I'm looking forward to establishing that soon. But, I'm also enjoying the spontaneity of living fully in this remarkable city.

If the coming weeks follow suit, it seems there will be a pleasant balance to work and play.

This past weekend was a lovely embrace of what life here has to offer. After a long day of teaching on Saturday, I was rewarded with an evening of Roman partying. My cousin hosted an evening gathering for his girlfriend's thirtieth birthday at a local club. The Italian word for such a place is "locale." Little did I know that this hidden gem was a mere five minutes from my apartment. This locale, Club OS, doesn't perfectly translate to the "club" idea we have in America. Club OS is basically a club setting where people make reservations for parties, spanning from graduations to bachelorette parties. Friends and families (pretty much Italians only, no tourists) gather for apperitivi e bevande (appetizers and drinks). This particular locale is a beautiful setting, closed in by trees and tall walls and situated amongst the neighboring structures. And, just down the road is the Colosseo.

When I arrived at the club, I gave my cousin's name, as one can only get in by reservation. I was welcomed through the gates and met my cousins at our group's table. The evening continued comfortably and in Italian fashion, which means you enjoy hours of eating, drinking, smoking, and visiting. After a few hours, it was time for cake and champagne. Let me tell you, Italians know how to make a party special. The waiters brought the cake with big sparkling candles. With that, they carried a big bowl of champagne and flutes on ice, also decorated with sparklers. So, Francesca blew out her candles and we saluted.

From there we made our way into the dance part of the club. We found a niche for our group, enjoyed some drinks served to the group on a platter, not individually, and we danced the morning away.

The next day began, or continued, I should say, with Mass and breakfast with Ester, my friend from Granada. Then, we met some more Spanish friends at the Colosseo. Sundays are free for entrance, which is an offer we seek as hungry students. This does mean, though, that the popular site is packed with tourists, more so than any other day.

We ventured around the ancient structure with the informative guidance of one friend who studies art history and architecture. This was my second time touring the amazing monument, and this time it was accentuated with the pleasant accompaniment of Spanish conversation.
From the Colosseum we walked around the Roman Forum, deciphering the path of the ancient city and the significance of various details.

One thing I have to keep in mind is that this city will always be full of tourists. Though I'm inclined to avoid the places swarmed with people, I refuse to miss out on the incredible sites that surround me.


After Friday's new student orientation at the university, I find myself even more overwhelmed by the reality that I am studying at this place of rich history. (I will soon post about what I learned of the buildings, art, church, and gardens during our tour.)

And so now, I'm excitedly awaiting the start of my courses. Tomorrow I will journey to the Angelicum, with a heart and mind open to the world of academia.

The adventure continues...


Francesca's 30th Birthday 

The Spaniards

 Beautiful day at the Colosseum

The Spaniards and the American

No comments:

Post a Comment